Monday, April 2, 2012

Baked Fontina Val D'Aosta



Do people who cook do it for attention?  It's a surprising question, one I hadn't really considered until I wrote that sentence.  But, c'mon.  You can't read any blog and ignore the fact that, well, blogger = needy.
I'm aware the world doesn't need another food blog.  No, the world needs lots of other important things.  Nevertheless, here I am wooden spoon in hand.  The comedian Mark Maron wrote a funny essay about that once for Saveur (here's the link).  I love this quote from it: "The idea that I could do something giving and seemingly selfless and still be the center of attention seems magical."  I bring all this up because last weekend I was cooking for someone who needed impressing.  But first things first, the appetizer, a little pre-nosh.
It had to be fabulous, so, naturally I turned to Ina.  Her Baked Fontina Val D'Aosta recipe produces a gooey, salty, cheesy fantasy that could get anyone's attention.  It's not so much a recipe as it is just sticking some super expensive cheese into a pan and watching your cash melt away, but if Ina thinks it's worth listing out the steps then who am I to object.  It begins with 1 1/2 lbs of Fontina Val D'Aosta cheese:

Preheat your broiler and position the oven rack 5 inches from the heat.  Remove the rind and cut into small squares.  Ina says to cut in 1" diced cubes.  I prefer chopping away with absolutely no precision.  It's just cheese.
Place the cheese into a 12 inch cast iron pan and drizzle olive oil.  Combine the following into a small bowl and sprinkle over the cheese and olive oil.
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  About of teaspoon of each.  Place the pan under the broiler for 6 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling and starts to brown.
Serve family-style right out of the oven in the cast iron pan with French baguette or whatever crusty bread you like and start dipping.                          

The person I was doing all this for actually had the nerve to say it looked "greasy."  If you find yourself with a similar guest I suggest you tell him it's supposed to be that way, just eat it and your welcome.

1 comment:

  1. My comment would have been, "My word, that looks so rich...", followed by the unsettling noise of what sounds like me making love to that fromage. "Oooh, yeah get on that bread...uh, huh, that's it...mmmm." Awkward.

    ReplyDelete