Monday, April 9, 2012

Starbuck's Lemon Pound Cake

I have a hard time letting things go.  I've been told this.  There are things I have questioned for many years and haven't found answers.  Like why do the makers of Oreos want you to believe you can lick off the filling?  And why do white crayons exist?  Who would color with a white crayon?  To color on black paper?  Who has black paper?  And why do some people say they will text you and then don't (ahem).  And why on Sunday morning, when I had been looking forward to it all weekend, did my Starbucks run out of lemon pound cake?  I love that lemon pound cake as if it were my own.  In fact, the next dog I get, I'm naming it "Starbuck's Lemon Pound Cake."  Okay okay moving on.  So, true to form, I set out to make my very own version of this cake, thereby stickin it to you know who and answering the question which begs to be answered: what's in that stuff that makes it so darn good?
Ingredients:
1 box yellow cake mix
3.4 ounces instant or cook and serve lemon pudding mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
8 ounces sour cream
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Icing:
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3-4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 2 loaf pans with cooking spray.  Place all cake ingredients in no particular order into a bowl.

Beat on medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes.
Divide cake batter between two prepared loaf pans spreading evenly. 

Bake for 45-55 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.  Remove and let cool for 20 minutes before removing loaves from pans.
To prepare icing, place powdered sugar into a large bowl.  Drizzle in lemon juice stirring until smooth and thick.  Drizzle icing over cakes and let set for 20 minutes for a firm icing.  Otherwise, slice while wet if desired. 
Makes about 20 slices.
This is a pretty foolproof beginner cook dessert and it's out-of-this-world good.  My grandmother used to call this type of cake a "dump" cake because all you do is dump everything into a bowl.  She had a way with words, didn't she? 

No comments:

Post a Comment