Monday, April 23, 2012

Peanut Butter & Jelly Walk Into A Bar

Hi everyone.  My name is Peanut Butter & Jelly Walk Into A Bar.  You might not think much of me-I know PB & J isn't the most exciting thing, and morphed into a bar?  It sounds like a waste of time, right?  But I'm here to convince you that I'm a worthy addition to your baking repertoire.
My significant other, Plain Peanut Butter & Jelly, is a nice guy and all, but between you and me?  He's a little stubborn when it comes to change.  Especially, when it comes to the classics.  He'll order Plain pancakes when the menu says they offer 100 different kinds.  He'll happily pick Plain cheeseburger over the triple-heart-clogger-frito-pie-burger. That's a Plain Peanut Butter & Jelly for ya?  But me?  I like change.  Classic Schmlassic, I say.  Like last week when I changed up the ravioli just a teensy bit, Plain Peanut Butter & Jelly got so mad!  He told me I'd be Goober if I tried that stunt again. 
As if I'd allow myself to become Goober.  I mean, look at me.
I don't know if it's my crumb cake top or the way my sweet rasperry jam gently runs down the peanut buttery center which makes me better than the classic sandwich, but it does.  Sorry Plain Peanut Butter & Jelly-you know it's true.
Well, I don't want to overstay my welcome.  So here we go.  What you'll need:
(Disclosure:There are a total of 3 sticks of butter in this recipe if you count the topping.  Don't count the topping.  Now, you're down to 2.  Let's call butter X.  And the protein from the peanut butter for-- y Yes! protein is good for you.  And the antioxidents from the rasperries are Z, for zero.  Carry the 1, mutiply by zero, alakazam and you've got 2x(y-z)=0 sticks of butter.  Thank you Sir Isaac Newton.)






1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups (18 ounces) creamp peanut butter
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 cups (18 ounces) rasperry jam or other jam
2/3 cups salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 9x9 2 inch cake pan.  Line it with parchment paper, then grease and flour the pan. 
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light yellow, about 2 minutes.  With the mixer on low speed, add the peanut butter, vanilla and eggs until all ingredients are combined. 



In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.  With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture.  Mix just until combined.
Spread 2/3 of the dough into a prepared cake pan and spread over the bottom with a knife or offset spatula.  Spread the jam evenly over the dough. 
Roll out the remaining dough on an even surface to about 1/8 inch thickness.  Cut in strips and lay over jam with a little space open between each strip.  Like this:


Okay, here's the final step.  And this makes a big difference, so don't skip it!  It's a crumble topping similar to a crumb cake topping.  It tacks on a bit more time to this recipe, but I think it's totally worth it. 
The ingredients are separate.  Here they are:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 1/3 cups all-purpase flour
Combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl.  Stir in the melted butter (doesn't matter if it's hot or not, just melted).  Then stir in the flour and mix well. 
With your hands, spread the crumbly topping and chopped peanuts over the bars. 

Bake for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool for 20 minutes and cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment