Monday, April 16, 2012

Man Does Not Live By Bread Pudding Alone


Are you tired of competent cooks?  Food blogs with perfect pictures and recipes voted "family favorites?"  Sick of family favorites?  You've come to the right place.
My friend and I just started two food blogs.  You're on mine.  Here's hers.  mywifesfoodblog.blogspot.com  Okay, her husband started the blogs.  Something about us 'never getting around to it so he finally did."  Doesn't matter.  We're going to cook some things and let our significant others & friends provide their (ahem) thoughtful and humble reviews.
Last night was my 'other's' debut as humble critic.  It was a gripping performance.  Here's Act I.
Him: "Why are you putting ham in bread pudding?"
Me: "It's savory bread pudding."
Him: "I don't think ham will taste good with sweet stuff."
Me: "I agree.  That's why it's savory."
I thought in Act II he might step up his game a little.
Him: "It's kinda bland."  "I like Velveeta cheese."  "Have you thought of using Velveeta?"
I was wrong. 
Despite his disdain of the English language this particular evening and love for Velveeta, my normally articulate other actually does have a good palette.  And somewhere between washing the pile of dirty dishes and pretending not to mind at all, he gave the dish a B+.
I think next time I'll add more oregano and basil.  Oh, and an onion.  Maybe drizzle a little olive oil on top for more richness.  If you decide to make it, let me know what you think.  Or my friend.  We would love to hear.  And see pics! 
Here's the recipe:
8 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup diced ham
1 1/2 cups grated pecorino cheese
2 cups grated fontina cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesano reggiano for garnish
1/4 cup fresh parsley, oregano, basil (combined)
6 cups cubed 1 inch thick Ciabatta or Brioche bread (I used Brioche.)
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 9 x 9 baking dish with butter.  With an electric mixer, beat the eggs in a large bowl on low for 1 minute.  Change setting to medium and beat for 2-3 more minutes.  Whisk in the milk and cream.  Season with salt and pepper.  Fold in ham, pecorino, fontina and herbs. 
Arrange half of the bread cubes evenly over the bottom of the buttered baking dish.  Pour over half of the egg mixture.  Add a second layer of bread cubes then pour the remaining egg mixture over the top.  Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until center is cooked.  Let rest for about 10 minutes before serving.


2 comments:

  1. You're my new favorite blog! I can't wait to make this. Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Great read. Looks delicious. I'm definitely making this for my "other." I can't wait for your next post.

    ReplyDelete